Andrew Miall video presentations for Canadian Society of Petroloeum Geologists
Two videos presented by Prof. Andrew Miall
These videos, each about 15 minutes in length, were prepared for presentation at the Annual Meeting of the Canadian Society of Petroleum Geologists in September. This is an entirely “virtual” meeting this year because of the pandemic.
This video brings together and summarizes work prepared for two review papers: The 2013 article reviews the evolution of the multidisciplinary nature of the science of Stratigraphy during the previous decade. The 2015 article broadens the scope of the historical review to include developments since the nineteenth century, and provides some general comments on the significance of stratigraphic studies.
- Miall, A. D., 2013, Sophisticated stratigraphy, in Bickford, M. E., ed., The web of geological sciences: Advances, impacts and interactions: Geological Society of America Special Paper 500, p. 169-190.
- Miall, A. D., 2015, Making stratigraphy respectable: from stamp collecting to astronomical calibration: Geoscience Canada, 42, p. 271-302.
The Stratigraphy Machine
This video draws on work carried out with John Holbrook of the Texas Christian University and Janok Bhattacharya of McMaster University It builds on earlier work I carried out, exploring the nature of the preservation of time in the stratigraphic record, in particular the 2015 paper, which was prepared as a keynote address for the Geological Society of London William Smith Symposium on “Strata and Time” in 2012.
- Miall, A. D., 2014, The emptiness of the stratigraphic record: A preliminary evaluation of missing time in the Mesaverde Group, Book Cliffs, Utah: Journal of Sedimentary Research, v. 84, p. 457-469
- Miall, A. D., 2015, Updating uniformitarianism: stratigraphy as just a set of “frozen accidents”, in Smith, D. G., Bailey, R., J., Burgess, P., and Fraser, A., eds., Strata and time: Geological Society, London, Special Publication 404, p. 11-36.
- Miall, A. D., 2016, The valuation of unconformities: Earth Science Reviews, v. 163, p. 22-71
- Bhattacharya, J., Miall, A. D., Ferron, C., Gabriel, J., Randazzo, N., Kynaston, D., Jicha, B. R., and Singer, S., 2019, Balancing sediment budgets in deep time and the nature of the stratigraphic record: Earth Science Reviews. v. 199, 102985, 25 p.
- Holbrook, J., and Miall, A. D., 2020, Time in the Rock: A field guide to interpreting past events and processes from siliciclastic stratigraphy: Earth Science Reviews, v. 203, 103121, 23 p.